2013-2017 | PhD: Human Development and Health, University of Southampton, UK – Thesis title: Flow cytometer optimisation and standardisation for the study of extracellular vesicles as translational biomarkers. Supervisors: N. Englyst PhD, J. Holloway PhD, D. Smith BMBS DM, J. S. Wilkinson PhD.
2014-2015 | PCAP (module 1), University of Southampton, UK – A professional development programme to promote the development of high-quality professional practice in higher education.
2010-2013 | BSc (Hons) Biological Sciences: Physiology with Pharmacology, University of Leicester, UK – Dissertation title: Do endogenous human platelet-delivered microparticles contain intracellular Ca2+stores?, Supervisor: M Mahaut-Smith PhD
2017-Pres | Visiting Postdoctoral Fellow, National Cancer Institute, NIH: I am currently in Jennifer Jones’ lab developing a high-throughput, scalable, clinical pipeline for characterizing extracellular vesicles for their use as clinical biomarkers. This work has required me to develop assays but also develop standalone software for the standardization of results as well as perform multidimensional data analyses.
2016-17 | Senior Research Assistant, University of Southampton: Following my PhD, I was funded in-kind by ThermoFisher Scientific to continue developing a high-sensitivity flow cytometry platform and standardization methods to characterize extracellular vesicles.
2014-15 | Tutor, The Brilliant Club: In this role I designed an 8-week course to teach to 2 classes of 14-15 year-old children at schools from underprivileged backgrounds. This initiative run by the Brilliant Club is to help increase the variety of students in STEM fields at the top universities in the UK by having PhD students and postdoctoral researchers teach their specialty. The course that I delivered was on basics of flow cytometry and extracellular vesicles. One of my students was selected by peer review for having done outstanding work and had their final project published in the organization journal.
2013-16 | Lab Demonstrator, BIOL2010: The Flow of Genetic Information, University of Southampton: In this position I taught groups of 30 students per week how to perform bacterial transformation and determine whether it was successful or not. I would then mark their subsequent write up of their lab results. I chose to take this position to gain experience in disseminating knowledge to students as well as to gain experience teaching large groups.
Other Experience & Membership
2016-Pres | Member, ISAC-ISEV-ISTH EV Flow Cytometry Working Group: Currently organize calls, and maintain website for the inter-society working group of 22 researchers seeking to standardize extracellular vesicle analysis and reporting.
2015-Pres | Associate Fellow, Higher Education Academy
2014-Pres | Member, International Society of Extracellular Vesicles: Regular attendee of ISEV meetings and participant of international workshop.
2014-Pres | Member, International Society for Advancement of Cytometry: Regular attendee of CYTO meetings, and participant in the annual cytometry development workshops.
- ISAC Marylou Ingram Scholarship 2019-2023, ISAC, 2019: Awarded by the International Society for Advancement of Cytometry, the ISAC Marylou Ingram Scholars Program is a five-year career development program designed to enhance the scientific and leadership experiences of research leaders in the field of cytometry.Being chosen as an ISAC Marylou Ingram Scholar is an indication that you are recognized for your scientific skills, research accomplishments, leadership potential and ability to achieve your career goals.
- Outstanding Postdoctoral Fellow, CCR-FYI Colloquium, 2018: Nominated and following interviews of top 5 candidates was awarded the outstanding postdoctoral fellow by the center for cancer research fellows and young investigators committee (CCR-FYI).
- Keystone Symposia Future of Science Fund Scholarship, Keystone, 2018: Scholarship to attend the Keystone Single Cell Biology Meeting for abstract titled: The development of a scalable extracellular vesicle subset characterization pipeline.
- Federal Technology Transfer Award, NIH, 2018: Nominated for significantly contributing to the intellectual property of National Cancer Institute for the 4 patents I have submitted in the preceding year.
- Summer Research Mentor Award, NIH, 2018: An award to cover the salary of a summer intern to work alongside me in the lab.
- 2nd Prize for Best Oral Presentations, UKEV Forum, 2017: Awarded for my presentation titled: An Accessible Method of Flow Cytometer Scatter Standardisation for EV Analysis.
- Student Travel Award, International Society for Advancement of Cytometry, 2016: Awarded to allow me to attend the cytometry development workshop and present a talk titled: ‘Flow Cytometry SSC Collection Angle Can Be Deduced Using Acquisition of Reference Beads with Known Refractive Index’
- International Conference Attendance Fund, University of Southampton, 2016:Faculty award to support travel to ISEV 2016 to present a talk titled: ‘Leukocyte microvesicle as fibrosis biomarkers in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease’
- Researcher Links/Newton Award, British Council, 2016: Award to support travel costs and allow me to attend the UK-Brazil Extracellular Vesicle and Neglected Tropical Diseases Workshop.
- Student Travel Award, International Society for Advancement of Cytometry, 2015: Awarded to allow me to attend CYTO 2015 and present a talk titled: A Comparison of Extracellular Vesicle Probe Effectiveness Using Simultaneous Labelling
- International Conference Attendance Fund, University of Southampton, 2015: Faculty award to support travel to ISEV 2015 to present a talk titled: ‘A New Fluorescent Probe for Identifying Microvesicles’.
- Researcher Links Award, British Council, 2015:Award to support travel costs and allow me to attend the UK–Russia Researcher Links Workshop: extracellular vesicles – mechanisms of biogenesis and roles in disease pathogenesis
- Young Extraordinary Brits Award: Innovation, Jack Wills, 2014: National competition to identify individuals who have significantly contributed to innovation in STEM projects.
- Best Overall 3rd Year Experimental Project, University of Leicester, 2013: Awarded for my final year project titled: Do endogenous human platelet-delivered microparticles contain intracellular Ca2+stores?
- Awarded 1st Year University Scholarship, University of Leicester, 2010: Awarded for exceeding the academic entry requirements of the course.
Published Research Articles
- Clayton A, Boilard E, Buzas E I, Cheng L, Falcón-Perez J M, Gardiner C, Gustafson D, Gualerzi A, Hendrix A, Hoffman A, Jones J, Lässer C, Lawson C, Lenassi M, Nazarenko I, O’Driscoll L, Pink R, Siljander P R-M, Soekmadji C, Wauben M, Welsh J A, Witwer K, Zheng L, Nieuwland R, Considerations towards a roadmap for collection, handling and storage of blood extracellular vesicles, Journal of Extracellular Vesicles, 8:1, dos: 10.1080/20013078.2019.1647027
- Tang V.A., Fritzsche A.K., Renner T.M., Burger D., van der Pol E., Lannigan J.A., Brittain G.C., Welsh J.A., Jones J.C., Langlois M., Engineered Retroviruses as Fluorescent Biological Reference Particles for Small Particle Flow Cytometry, BioRXiv, doi: 10.1101/614461
- Welsh J A, Horak P, Wilkinson J S, Ford V, Jones J C, Smith D C, Holloway J A, Englyst N A, FCMPASS software aids extracellular vesicle light scatter standardisation., Cytometry Part A, doi: 10.1002/cyto.a.23782, pdf.
- Morales-Kastresana A*, Musich T*, Welsh J A*, Telford W, Demberg T, Wood J C S, Felton E J, Bigos M, Ross C D, Kachynski A, Dean A, Dyke J V, Tigges J, Toxavidis V, Parks D R, Overton W R, Kesarwala A P, Freeman G J, Rosner A, Perfetto S P, Pasquet L, Terabe M, McKinnon K, Kapoor V, Trepel J B, Puri A, Kobayashi H, Yung B, Chen X, Guion P, Choyke P, Knox S J, Ghiran I, Robert-Guroff M, Berzofsky J A, Jones J C, High Fidelity Detection and Sorting of Nanoscale Vesicles in Viral Disease and Cancer, Journal of Extracellular Vesicles, doi: 10.1080/20013078.2019.1597603, pdf
- Murillo O D, Thistlethwaite W, Rozowsky J, Subramanian S L, Lucero R, Shah N, Jackson A R, Srinivasan S, Chung A, Laurent C D, Kitchen R R, Galeev T, Warrell J, Diao J A, Welsh J A, Hanspers K, Riutta A, Burgstaller-Muehlbacher S, Shah R, Yeri A, Jenkins L M, Ahsen M E, Dogra N, Gifford S M, Smith J T, Stolovitzky G, Tewari A K, Wunsch B H, Yadav K K, Alexander R P, Wang L, Wu C, Wong D, Galas D J, Keuren-Jensen K, Patel T, Jones J C, Das S, Cheung K, Pico A, Su A I, Raffai R L, Laurent L C, Roth M E, Gerstein M B, Milosavljevic A, ExRNA Atlas analysis reveals distinct extracellular RNA cargo types present across human biofluids, Cell, doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2019.02.018, pdf
- Görgens A., Bremer M., Ferrer-Tur R., Murke F., Tertel T., Horn P.A., Thalmann S., Welsh J.A., Probst C, Guerin C., Boulanger C.M., Jones J.C., Hanenberg H., Erdbrügger U., Lannigan J., Ricklefs F.L., Andaloussi S., Giebel B., Optimisation of Imaging Flow Cytometry for the Analysis of Single Extracellular Vesicles by Using Fluorescence-tagged Vesicles as Biological Reference Material, Journal of Extracellular Vesicles, doi: 10.1080/20013078.2019.1587567, pdf
- Théry C., Witwer K., et al., Minimal information for studies of extracellular vesicles 2018 (MISEV2018): a position statement of the International Society for Extracellular Vesicles and update of the MISEV2014 guidelines, Journal of Extracellular Vesicles, 8:1, 1535750, doi: 10.1080/20013078.2018.1535750, pdf
- Welsh J.A, Kepley J., Rosner A., Horak P., Berzofsky J. Jones J.C., Prospective use of high-refractive index materials for single molecule detection in flow cytometry., Sensors, doi: 10.3390/s18082461, pdf
- Wiklander OPB, Bostancioglu RB, Welsh JA, Zickler AM, Murke F, Corso G, Felldin U, Hagey DW, Evertsson B, Liang X-M, Gustafsson MO, Mohammad DK, Wiek C, Hanenberg H, Bremer M, Gupta D, Björnstedt M, Giebel B, Nordin JZ, Jones JC, EL Andaloussi S and Görgens A., Systematic methodological evaluation of a multiplex bead-based flow cytometry assay for detection of extracellular vesicle surface signatures., Front. Immunol. , doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2018.01326, pdf
- Clayton A, Buschmann D, Byrd J B, Carter D R F, Cheng L, Compton C, Daaboul G, Devitt A, Falcon-Perez J M, Gardiner C, Gustafson D, Harrison P, Helmbrecht C, Hendrix A, Hill A, Hoffman A, Jones J C, Kalluri R, Kang J Y, Kirchner B, Lässer C, Lawson C, Lenassi M, Levin C, Llorente A, Martens-Uzunova E S, Möller A, Musante L, Ochiya T, Pink R C, Tahara H, Wauben M H M, Webber J P, Welsh J A, Witwer K W, Yin H, Nieuwland R, (2018) Summary of the ISEV workshop on extracellular vesicles as disease biomarkers, held in Birmingham, UK, during December 2017, Journal of Extracellular Vesicles, 7:1, 1473707, doi: 10.1080/20013078.2018.1473707, pdf
- Welsh J.A., Scorletti E., Clough G.F., Englyst N.A., Byrne C.D., Leukocyte extracellular vesicle concentration is associated with liver fibrosis severity in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, Journal of Leukocyte Biology, 2018; 1-9, doi: 10.1002/JLB.5A1217-501R, pdf
- Ramirez M I, Amorim M G, Gadelha C, Milic I, Welsh J A, Freitas V M, Nawaz M, Akbar N, Couch Y, Makin L, Cooke F, Vettore A L, Batista P C, Freezor R A, Pezuk, J A, Rosa-Fernandes L, Carreira A C O, Devitt A,Jacobs L, Silva I T, Coakley G, Nunes D N, Carter D, Palmisano G, Dias-Neto E., Technical challenges of working with extracellular vesicles. Nanoscale, 2017, 00, 1–26. doi: 10.1039/c7nr08360b, pdf
- Welsh JA, Holloway JA, Wilkinson JS, Englyst NA, Extracellular Vesicle Flow Cytometry Analysis and Standardization. 2017, Front. Cell Dev. Biol. 5:78. doi: 10.3389/fcell.2017.00078, pdf
- Welsh J, Holloway J, Englyst N, Microvesicles as Biomarkers in Diabetes, Obesity and Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: Current Knowledge and Future Directions. Intern Med S6:009, 2014. doi: 10.4172/2165-8048.S6-009, pdf